Unattended fireplace blamed for West El Paso house fire
Updated On: Jan 16 2014 09:28:07 PM CST
An unattended fireplace is being blamed for a house fire in West El Paso late Monday night.
No injuries are being reported from the incident that happened around 11:20 on the 700 block of Ringold. Firefighters say the blaze started as a wood fire in the fireplace, but then spread to the ceiling at the rear of the three bedroom home.
Emergency crews say the man who lives there had gone to bed, leaving the fire unattended. Emergency crews also tell us that a fire alarm did go off, but it failed to wake up the man. Neighbors were ultimately responsible for getting the man and his dog out of the home.
Fire investigators are still looking into how the fire spread from the fireplace.
Copyright 2014 KVIA. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.