Oscar Leeser, El Paso mayoral candidate
Updated On: Apr 22 2013 12:18:46 PM CDT
NAME: Oscar Leeser
OFFICE YOU SEEK: Mayor
OCCUPATION: President & Owner/Operator of Hyundai of El Paso
EDUCATION: Graduated from Coronado High School
FAMILY: Wife, Lisa; Children, Shawn and wife Carrie, Benjamin, Melissa and husband Justin Ramirez, Daniel and wife Beth, grandchildren, MacKenzie, Tyler, Lucas, Dylan and Madelyn, with one on the way.
1) NUMBER-ONE CAMPAIGN FOCUS:
Bringing back transparency, trust and solid business practices to city government.
2) WHAT SETS YOU APART FROM YOUR OPPONENTS?
Real world experience. I built a small dealership into a big business. I like to think I put my money where my mouth is. It's been important to me to give back to my community.
3) RELEVANT EXPERIENCE THAT QUALIFIES YOU FOR THE POSITION YOU SEEK:
Thirty-five years spent in the trenches growing a business, watching expenses, managing hundreds of people have taught me important skills. I know how to make tough decisions. I think I have the experience to balance short term needs with long term goals, work for consensus and keep our City Council accountable for their decisions.
4) IF YOU HAD THE CHANCE TO REVOKE ONE ORDINANCE IN EL PASO IMMEDIATELY UPON TAKING OFFICE, WHICH ONE WOULD IT BE?
My style of leadership is to gather the facts, listen and work for consensus. I don’t see myself revoking anything immediately without thoughtful consideration.
5) DESCRIBE A MOMENT THAT CHANGED YOUR LIFE:
I had to borrow a lawn mower so that I could mow lawns to make some money. My parents taught me the value of an honest day’s work and that if you work hard you can realize your dreams. It has influenced every day of my life since.
6) IN WHAT WAYS IS EL PASO ON THE RIGHT TRACK AND IN WHAT WAYS DOES IT NEED TO CHANGE COURSE?
We have approved a great plan for the future but the real work is ahead. The best plan mismanaged or implemented poorly is a failed plan. It is important that we complete these projects in our interests as a community by watching the time and watching the dollars.
7) IF ELECTED, HOW WILL YOU BALANCE THE NEEDS OF FAMILY, YOUR CAREER AND YOUR OFFICE?
My family will always be of utmost importance to me. At Hyundai of El Paso, we have a strong team of people who have come up in the business as we’ve grown, and out of the 400 plus cars sold last month, I didn’t sell a single one myself. The key is to always have the right people in place.
8) WHEN AND WHY DID YOU COME TO EL PASO (IF APPLICABLE)?
My family came to El Paso from Mexico when I was nine for better opportunities.
9) PLEASE INDICATE WHETHER YOU HAVE A WEBSITE, TWITTER OR FACEBOOK ACCOUNT: Website: oscarleeser.com;
You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/oscarleeser