DMD wants the public prepared for City Hall demolition
Updated On: Aug 20 2013 10:22:31 AM CDT
The Downtown Management District launched their new campaign is called "It's Happening."
Seven construction projects are scheduled over this year and next, and they want people to be prepared.
Here's a look at what people can expect Sunday morning:
- At 7:30 A.M. areas surrounding City Hall will be shut down.
- At 8 A.M. the railroad tracks will be covered.
- 8:45 A.M. the countdown starts and a safety check begins.
- 8:58 two minutes before the blast a siren will be heard throughout downtown warning everyone to brace for the big implosion.
- 9:00 A.M. City Hall is demolished
- Schuster street to Mesa street will also be closed.
- No one is allowed in until 9:45 A.M.
- No one is allowed in any buildings.
- The 1-10 will be closed between exits 16 Executive through 19A Downtown/mesa.
- People that live nearby are being asked to close their air conditioning vents and turn the unit off by 8:55.
The DMD foresees a lot of street closures over the next year, which is why they're launching the campaign now.
Soto also says she wants people to get excited by holding city-wide contests and scheduling flash mobs to dance in the streets wearing "It's Happening" t-shirt and hard hats.
If the wind allows the DMD plans on draping a huge banner over the side of City Hall Thursday at 6 A.M. that says "It's Happening."