El Paso
79° F
Partly Cloudy
Partly Cloudy

Toddler swallows 42 fridge magnets

Published On: Feb 15 2013 09:33:00 AM CST
Updated On: Feb 15 2013 11:53:30 PM CST
X-Ray file photo

A toddler in Russia is recovering after swallowing 42 fridge magnets in a matter of minutes.

The boy's mother panicked when she noticed all the magnets from the family's refrigerator were gone after leaving her 16-month-old son alone for a short period of time, The Daily Mail reported.

She rushed him to a local clinic, where a scan revealed dozens of small, round magnets in his abdomen.

Doctors at a hospital near the family's home in Chelyabinsk performed emergency surgery to remove the magnets.

"Over the years, I had to take a variety of foreign bodies including magnets from young patients," Chief pediatric surgeon Nikolay Rostovtsev told The Daily Mail. "Once I removed about 20 of them, but this incident of our little patient has broken all records."

The boy is expected to make a full recovery.

Comments

The views expressed are not those of this company or its affiliated companies. Please note by clicking on "Post" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms Of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. 
blog comments powered by Disqus